The hospital comprises three distinct, but fully connected buildings. The original Waterhouse building and the adjoining 1950’s concrete framed building were extensively altered and refurbished to create the new hospital.
A considerable number of substantial load bearing walls were removed and replaced with a steel frame in the Waterhouse building. This created space for the new hospital layout, supported and strengthened the existing clinker concrete filler joist floors and provided lateral restraint to the perimeter walls.
At the rear a new concrete framed building on piled foundations was constructed adjacent to the existing buildings to house the operating theatres.